Pacific View owners, Kathryn and Peter are passionate about the Coromandel Peninsula. It is a beautiful and pristine part of New Zealand and they are working hard to support the natural environment by operating their business in a socially and environmentally responsible manner without comprising their guests’ enjoyment or comfort and also ensuring guests of an enriching and rewarding experience.
As a Qualmark accredited business (with a Four Plus star rating)
Pacific View meets high levels of environmental and social responsibility.
At Pacific View you’ll see lots of measures taken to make the guests’ experiences more sustainable some of which include:
- We compost as much of our organic waste that we can. We grow some of our own herbs, fruit and vegetables and what we grow is cultivated using our own composting system in addition to the Bokashi Compost-zing system
- We source local (from Waihi) free-range eggs and where possible buy locally grown produce and source and employ local goods and services.
- We are passionate about buying New Zealand made products. We recycle all our waste paper, plastic, tin, aluminium and glass via the Whangamata recycling system
- We use biodegradable and eco-friendly cleaning products. All laundry is done in house and line dried.
- We monitor our energy consumption in an effort to conserve future use and to maximize the efficiency of hot water production we have installed a solar powered water heating system which uses the latest technology.
- We conserve water by limiting the time we spend showering and running water to brush our teeth; have installed dual-flush toilets; we use a trigger nozzle on the garden hose to shut off water when we don’t need it
- We replace old light bulbs with eco-friendly bulbs
- In an effort to educate guests we talk with them about our region particularly with regard to our forests, beaches, boating safety and fishing laws and we encourage them to be mindful of our environment whilst touring NZ.
- Guests have free use of pushbikes to better enable access to the local surroundings without the use of motorized vehicles
- We support the Kauri 2000 programme – a project to recreate significant stands of Kauri on the Coromandel Peninsula www.kauri2000.co.nz
- We are actively involved with Whangamata Beach Care helping to improve the health of our dune systems
Whilst we are working hard in caring for our environment we are constantly looking for new ways to reduce our footprint and to help the wider community and we welcome feedback on further opportunities for improvement.